Friday, October 19, 2007

We decided to get a new car



I was driving to work in my little Civic coupe yesterday and stopped for a bus at a bus stop. There were two other cars ahead of me who also stopped behind the bus. After waiting for a few seconds and then was rammed from behind by a giant Ford Explorer who seemingly never even slowed down.

My car was pushed forward about 20 feet ending up with my hood under the pick-up truck ahead of me. That truck was also pushed forward and hit the car in front of him. Altogether, there were 4 cars damaged, but the bus was not hit. The firemen had to pry apart my car from the one that hit me.
On the inside of the car, some large piece of plastic flew forward and hit me in the back of my head and landed in the passenger's seat. It cut the back of my head pretty good, one cut of 2-3 inches and another about 1 inch long. I have pictures if you would want to see. I was leaning forward when I was hit, so my body flung back into the seat that is permanently stuck in a reclined position now. I then bounced forward against the seat belt causing bruising to my hip and shoulder. I seemed to have a mild concussion too, but nothing too bad.

The driver was a woman without a driver's licence or insurance. She also spoke very little English. My insurance will cover my car and medical bills, so I'm OK that way too. The police issued a ticket for driving without a licence or insurance, but said that they could not arrest her because they did not see her driving.
When the fire department came the guy asked it I needed to go to the hospital. I said that I couldn't see the cut on the back of my head and asked what he thought. He said that the bleeding was stopped and I could just go to an urgent care center to get a stitch or maybe just a butterfly bandage.
When we got to my doctor's office, both the RN and the doctor were surprised that they didn't say I should go to the hospital. They also said that it shouldn't be up to person who just suffered head trauma to make a decision like that. Pretty good point. They ended up putting 4 stitches in the smaller cut and one long running stitch in the longer one.
So today we are off to look for a new car. Probably another Civic. They seem to be a pretty safe car.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did they let her (the uninsured/unlicensed "driver" DRIVE away? And SURE we want the Head pictures!!

Once again, glad you are so hard-headed and okay. Good luck with the shopping.

Jeff said...

Always looking for the silver lining...At least that will get rid of the hockey gear smell.

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are ok!

Melissa said...

Glad that you're okay!

The Daily Squink said...

I am so mad that the other driver can just go around driving, breaking laws right and left, endangering other people's lives, and when it all finally catches up with her, she gets off Scott free! WTF! Just thinking about what this bitch could have done if someone had been in the backseat... Grrrrr.....

Marmie said...

DITTO!!!!

Ashley O said...

Glad to hear you are ok.