Monday, December 03, 2007

Dayton is uphill


The new car is working fine. Here is a picture of me being a hip-hop master in our garage.

The hybrid technology is pretty good. I'm averaging about 48-50 mpg per tank. What I have noticed is that my mileage going to work in about 45 mpg and coming home I get about 53.

Now, I know I am not going faster to work than coming home, so the difference must be the change in elevation between Cincinnati and Dayton.

So that is the great benefit of my new car; I figured out that Dayton, on the Miami River, is higher in elevation than Cincinnati, near where the Miami flows into the Ohio river.

The second benefit is that I get about 25% better mileage than the old Civic. At $3-4 per gallon that is almost a dollar a gallon cheaper. That helps when you commute 120 miles a day.

3 comments:

The Daily Squink said...

Cincinnati elevation is 482 ft.

Dayton is 738 ft.

So yeah, you do go uphill.

Unknown said...

Hip-hop master slash lumberjack w/ that beard,
this photo is hot!

The Daily Squink said...

Oh, I forgot to ask -- does that 250 feet figure correctly into the difference in gas mileage? I'm guessing not. But you as an engineer could probably determine that more accurately.