Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Building a Train Table

Finn had set his train tracks up on the floor in the playroom. The uneven carpet led to more derailments than the line safety manager deemed acceptable. To fix the situation I thought I could make a table or the trains to run on.

The first step was going to Home Depot. It is a convenient trip, just a mile or so away and thy have everything needed to build a train table. An hour later and ready to load legs, reinforcement, AstroTurf, and a 4' x 8' piece of plywood into the car. Unfortunately the plywood was bigger than our car.

Never to be daunted, I carried the board home on my back. Sure a gust of wind almost knocked me over along with my wooden sail, but I made it to our stairs. At that point I also saw that the board was too big to get up to our condo up the stairs. It was then that I decided that the table should be smaller than I originally hoped.


Finn helped measure, mark and cut the wood. Of course his helping was more sitting "over there" than being actively involved, especially when the drill or saw was out.


After the framework of the table was attached Finn helped me tack the AstroTurf in place. Since hammering is about his favorite activity this week, he hammered with extra gusto.


Once it was all done, We took our picture at the table to commemorate the event.


Finn loves the fact that the trains no longer slip off the rails and Thomas is safe. And that is what matters most of all.

4 comments:

Mom of 3 Boys said...

wow, you are good, beach! we just bought our table from TRU. haha

Anonymous said...

That is why families need a good small truck. (Or, have HD cut the plywood, put it in your car or on the roof.) PaBeach

Anonymous said...

BEACH - YOU ARE THE MOST AWESOME DAD EVER!!!

WHAT A GREAT MEMORY YOU JUST BUILT. I CAN'T WAIT TO RUN THE TRAINS ON SAFE TRACKS NEXT WEEK.


lOVE,

ENGINEER MEME

Cailin said...

this made me laugh out loud. but where is the photo of you walking through the streets of alexandria with the plywood on your back???? anyway, i guess we can all agree that, as a thomas narrator would say, "luckily, no one was hurt."