Monday, October 09, 2006

Language Negotiations

If communiation is a transaction of ideas, I've learned over here that, like many transactions, communication can entail some bartering. The first offer is only a starting point; I experienced this when we went out to get some furniture for our apartment.

When picking up the stuff from the loading dock, the guy stopped, stared at me, and had that stupified look I know well from first hand experience. I give that look when I need to say something and have no idea how to say it auf Deutsch. I broke the silence asking a question to which I already knew the answer, "Sprechen Sie Englisch?" Let the negotiations begin.

"Nein, Italiano?"

"No, French?"

"Nein."

Crap. Much as the Euro is the common currency throughout Europe, I resorted to the common language, broken sentences and mime. Things go relatively well since both people really know what the other should be saying. Then I "asked" him to take the legs off of the coffee table.

"Der Couchtisch [wave hands up and down near ground] ... off?"

"Ja!" he said as if he figured out who shot JR ,"Die Stümpfe aufmachen!" I think that is what he said. I don't know for sure since I looked it up and it literally means "The stumps open!"

But, the transaction was made and I got what I wanted. The loading guy and I both felt like we accomplished something and Sarah and I now have a nice place to put our remote contols.

No comments: