Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Sprechenmeister

The French have a commitee that controls their language to include approving or disapproving new words. I don't know if the Germans have the same type of group, but my guess is no. It seems that anyone can invent a new word by combining some other words. The process seems devoid of sensibility or regulation, which is strangley un-German.

Take for example the German word for refrigerator, Kühlschrank. If you translate that literally into English it means 'cold box'. Likewise, a radiator is a Heizkörper, or a 'hot body'. It is almost like a fourth grade class was shown a series of new inventions and they let the dumb kid name them.

I think they need a Sprechenmeister (speaking master) to choose what words should be replaced by English words. I'd volunteer for that job.

If I were the Sprechenmeister, not only could I choose which words stay, but I could also modify the grammar. The first thing I would do is move the verbs together after the noun in a sentence. The Germans let the helping verbs stick with the noun, but dangle the rest of the verbs at the end of the sentence. For example: This morning, I have with my wife, a can of whip cream in one hand and a hungry grin on my face, breakfast been making. It can lead people down the wrong path.

I would definitely straighten out this language and may, possibly, end up learning it in the process. But if I can't be the Sprechenmeister, I'll at least try not to chuckle when Sarah and I are having our early piece (Frühstück, or breakfast)

No comments: