Thursday, February 28, 2008

Goodbye y'all!


So I left Texas and none too fast. I got a last blast of Texan hospitality as turned in my school bus. I turned the car in and and was handed my receipt. While walking to the shuttle I noticed that the amount charged was roughly three times that of my reservation guarantee.

I went to the counter get my money back and was told that I was correctly charged the rate for the Hummer not a compact because I got a Hummer and not a compact. I pointed out that I did not want Gigantor's car but it was all that was available. She replied that I had been "upgraded".

Most upgrades due to lack of a guaranteed product do not involve a rate change, nor was a rate change explained to me before I drove the carrier away. A natural parallel would be an airline "upgrading" you to first class since coach was over-booked and then demanding $1000 when you landed.

After quite a bit of discussion, Avis decided to charge me the compact car price and not the regular Hummer price. They sure do try harder, but not harder than me.

When I got back to Cincinnati I noticed Texas last going away gift. I had developed a cough that became a hacking, nasty cough that seemed like either pneumonia, bronchitis, or tuberculosis. I was knocked out for the next week and am beginning to feel normal again. Thanks again Texas.

No comments: