Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Sounds of Downtown

As I settle in for a quiet evening of reading (starting at 10:30), I realize that quiet may not be in the cards tonight. I hear:

Fireworks - I can't see them but they're near. And big. On a Thursday night?

Jackhammers - Apparently the Vine Street project is behind schedule. Don't they know people live around here?

Sirens - These are normal and taken alone, I wouldn't pay much attention, but tonight they are just adding to the din.

Clip-clopping horses - These are probably mounted police, and the one sound that I wouldn't mind more of.

Finn sleeps on. One advantage to raising a kid downtown - it breeds heavy sleepers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the quiet here will keep you awake? We do have alarm clock birds.

Meme

Jackson said...

What about car stereos? Did you leave those out or has downtown rid itself of those ingrates?

Sarah said...

Oh, the car stereos are still going strong. I just didn't happen to hear one at the moment. Maybe the jackhammers were drowning them out...

Unknown said...

sounds relaxing