Friday, April 10, 2009

Dulles Annex: Smithsonian Air and Space

The weather isn't always sunshine and blossoms. One rainy day we drove out to Dulles Airport where the Smithsonian built their annex to hold the massive collection of planes that don't fit in their downtown hanger.


Finn's first stop was the big turbine engine. It's a PW4000. Quite an attractive one too. He must feel some connection to my years in the jet engine lab.


He also was fascinated by the large collection of internal combustion engines they have on display.

Of course it's not all engines there. He heard me point out that I once flew a Piper Cub while I pointed to it. He then ran around and pointed to every plane and said "Papa flies that."


I have never flown a helicopter.

One of the coolest things is a real space shuttle. Finn ran full speed into the space hanger.


It was a definite hit and we'll be going back sometime on another rainy day.

1 comment:

Angelica said...

That looks pretty fun!