Thursday, November 29, 2007

Sarah's Rant of the Month

Several weeks ago I got a letter from the friendly folks at the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles asking me to provide them with proof that I have auto insurance. A portion of the letter went like this:

You have been randomly selected to verify that you have coverage for the vehicle listed above. We are requesting proof that you did have insurance or other financial responsibility coverage for this vehicle on the proof of insurance coverage date of this notice.

And here's the best part:

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. However, obtaining proof of financial responsibility benefits all Ohio drivers by reducing the chances that you will be in an accident with an uninsured driver.


The only way this could have been more ironic is if Beach himself had received the letter to provide proof of coverage for the car that no longer exists due to an ACCIDENT WITH AN UNINSURED DRIVER. Here's some salt to rub in your head wound, sir. If Beach had gotten the letter, I think he would have been well within his right to provide, as his proof of insurance, a copy of the accident report and a picture of himself with his shiny new car, courtesy of our own insurance and a hefty portion of our own hard-earned cash.

But, since I am the one who received the letter, and since I am a law-abiding citizen, and because they would suspend my license if I didn't, I paid my $.41 to send the BMV a copy of my insurance card right quick. I did, however, resist the urge to write in the margins of the letter a few of the shortcomings with this little program they've got going. I've done the same before on our tax returns, but Beach made me start over on a clean form. I thought I'd share my comments here instead.

First, I would be willing to bet that a significant proportion of uninsured drivers are also unlicensed drivers, like Beach's friend Maria Carmen (From the police report: "Driver license number? None yes - Mexico"). If they're unlicensed, they're probably driving cars that are either unregistered or registered to someone else (as in Maria's case). How is the BMV going to find these people?

Second, when uninsured and/or unlicensed drivers do cause accidents, why are they not arrested? If I don't send proof of insurance within 21 days I lose my license, but Maria Carmen slams into the back of my husband's car and gets to go home with nothing more than a slap on the wrist?! I know the BMV can't put people in jail, but maybe the police should get in on this, too.

Third, my guess would be that a lot of the people whose licenses end up being suspended as part of this program probably have insurance, but didn't send in the proof because they're too busy and missed the deadline, they lost the letter in a mass of junk mail, or never got the letter or got it late from that other well-oiled government machine, the USPS.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm done thinking about this. Anyway, I'm definitely in favor of protecting Ohio motorists (the ones who follow the rules). I just think it's clear from our recent experience that their system of checks is broken.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT LETTER, SARAH. WHY NOT SEND IT AS A LETTER TO THE EDITOR. ALL THAT EFFORT AND EMOTION SHOULD BE AIRED.

MEME

Ashley O said...

How can they suspend someone license if they don't have proof that you received the letter? Did they make you sign for it or require delivery confirmation? Was it registered mail?

I know someone, who will remain nameless, that ignores jury duty letters since there is not proof you ever get them. I don't think any action has taken place so far for this person not surving on a jury.

It is unfortunate how the "good" people in this world have to deal with things like this because other people don't follow the rules and the system to eliminate them or make them follow the rules doesn't work.

I feel you pain.

Sarah said...

No, it wasn't registered mail. Good point, Ashley. The BMV is having way to much faith in the postal system which, as Beach and I know from our temporary move abroad, also doesn't work.