Monday, February 09, 2009

Skating with Finn

After being stymied by the Federal Government's working hours Christmas Day, we made it back to the Sculpture Garden on a day it was open for skating.

Excited from the outset, each lap ended with him saying "More, please." It ended with him able to stand up on his own and kicking his feet as I helped him around the rink.
I got quite a work-out going around in circles. It was pretty warm out and I ended up drenched with sweat.
When we went to leave the tears came on and Finn just wanted to stay on the ice.

We were surprised that they had Finn's size. The biggest problem was that the blades have no edges so his legs would slide out to the sides in addition to forward and back.

There were two off-ice activities that were able to old Finn's attention. The first was watching the Zamboni as it resurfaced the ice. The second was opening and closing the locker doors.

We've made it back for a second time, which made it clear we need our own skates that may have an edge. Of course we'll probably wait until next year to get them since it was 50 degrees today. It may be that the season is coming to a close. I'm sure that he'll be ready for more next year,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Brought tears to my old eyes. PaBeach.

Anonymous said...

I remember skating with Sarah and she never bent her knees. My back had quite a workout but it was great fun. I love watching how comfortable fearless Finn is with his Papa. A great joy to watch. Thanks!