Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Least Deadly Catch


The lodging at Langley is very nice and recently rebuilt. Our room overlooked one of the many inlets off the Chesapeake Bay. Finn would stand in the window and watch the planes take-off and land. We could also watch the wave lap calmly against the shore.

Most of the boat traffic was the blue crab fisherman checking the cab pots. I'm sure most of you are familiar with The Deadliest Catch or as we call it "Crab Show". If that is your concept of crab fishing, you would be very surprise at this.

The buoys are a small Styrofoam cylinder about the size of a football, not a pair of giant balls. The traps are cat carriers sunk to the bottom of the 6 feet of water. There are no snow storms or ice flows, but the water is a smooth as if it were frozen. I don't know the death toll this season, but I would be surprise if the biggest injury were anything worse than a rope burn.

In any event, the crab are delicious and any trauma that the fisherman go through is worth every drop of drawn butter than ends up staining my shirt.

1 comment:

Jackson said...

OK, I've got to say something. That entry falls under the heading of "Torture" for us seafood lovers. You should put a warning at the beginning of an entry like that!

Technically, I'm still not over the cheese plate reference a couple weeks back.

Any more delicious food references and I'm gonna have to drive to Chicago, eat a stuffed crust pizza, and post my own "blog torture".