Sunday, July 06, 2008

A visit to the Air and Space Museum


During our trip to Washington DC at the beginning of May, Sarah took Finn to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. He loved it. He kept signing "Airplane!" and making the noise of roaring jet engines.

Most of the pictures didn't come out so well because it was took dark and Finn moves around a lot. But he seemed to settle down and focus hard at the large by-pass turbo fan engine display. Like father, like sun.

I imagine that he took out his toy hammer, struck the fan blades and measured their frequency response. I'm not sure he could build the finite element model to compare to the test results, but only because he didn't have his computer with him.

It's not so much that I like that he shows interest in what I do, but that he shows interest in almost everything he does. He likes the Children's Museum, aquariums, and airplanes equally. I think that having an intellectual curiosity is one of the determining traits in success in life, so I hope I can encourage that in him.

No comments: