Friday, July 04, 2008

TSA: Our Nation's Vigilent Defenders

A while ago, when I was traveling by air on an intercontinental flight, I thought that rather than pack all my toiletries in my checked luggage, it would be a courtesy to those around me if I were to bring my toothbrush and toothpaste on-board. I pulled out my mini-travel-sized toothpaste tube from my baggage and put it into my backpack for carry-on.

I proceeded to the airport, checked into my flight, and moved onto the security checkpoint. While leaving, I gazed at the boarding pass and realized I got an exit row and joyfully hoped that no one would sit next to me and I’d have leg-room and elbow-room. There were few travelers leaving that evening so there was no line to speak of waiting for the x-ray and magnometer.

Being an “expert traveler” I removed my shoes, jacket, and metallic objects from my person. I then opened my backpack and pulled out my laptop and my toothpaste tube, placed them in the tray and sent them through the x-ray. I walked through the metal detector and showed my boarding pass.



Suddenly the alarms went crazy and everyone stared at me. Two TSA agents approached me with a glowering gaze. After a significant pause, one looked at me and asked with a disapproving tone, “is this your toothpaste?”

“Yep”

“Do you have a plastic bag?” Unexpected question. I thought about several responses:

1. Do you have a goat?
2. What is the unladen airspeed of a swallow?
3. The calico cat meows at sunrise.
4. It’s not the heat so much as the humidity.
5. Look over there!

I went with “no.”

It turns out that all pastes and liquids must be in a 1-quart sealable plastic bag or they will be confiscated. I had always thought that the requirement was based on a need to measure that you are not carrying more that a quart of liquids in total. I made the mistake of mentioning that.

“No, the rule is that they must be in a bag. It’s not for measuring.”

At that point TSA agent #1 asked TSA agent #2 if, maybe, they could let my miniature toothpaste tube go through without the protective clear plastic encasing. The shocked expression on #2’s face was answer enough.

Meanwhile, I dug around in the backpack or a while and found a snack bag. For the record it is not a 1-quart bag; it is significantly smaller. That didn’t seem to matter. I ate my stash of Runts and then had an empty plastic bag.

He took my baggy, placed the toothpaste therein, and handed me the sealed package. I said “thanks”, opened the bag, put the toothpaste back in my backpack, threw away the bag, and walked to my flight.

At this point I was thinking I was home-free. But you know what they said about thinking: it makes a “th” out of “I” “n” the “King”.

I hear the loudspeaker come on throughout the concourse, “The county has declared an emergency. Please take shelter in the lowest level.” Uh-oh. I see this on CNN from time to time. Somebody angers the TSA or blows through a checkpoint and the concourse is evacuated. Then they clarified, “this is a tornado warning.”

With a sigh of relief I went through the underground chamber of weary travelers who all immediately expected to miss their flight. One of them was a guy who also lived in our building. I went up to him and said “hi”.

We talked about the building, traveling woes, and publishing papers. He is also a researcher. After the all-clear was given, he invited me up to the Crown Room to find out about the flight rescheduling.

If you have ever been traveling in bad weather, I strongly suggest you spend as much time as you can in the Crown Room. Free drinks, private gate agents, and fantastic food make it worth it. There was a chick pea tapenade, pita chips, olive bar, chicken and walnut salad, and a cheese plate.

The cheese plate was nowhere near the quality of the top two cheese plates I’ve ever had: one at Sarah’s Nana’s birthday party and the other my dad’s now infamous Wisconsin retort. Apparently, if you insult Wisconsin’s cheese-honor, they step up with a magnificent apple wood smoked cheddar, aged Muenster, and brie counterpunch.

After all the drama, the flight was delayed only 20 minutes, which was easily made up over the 9 hour flight, and I arrived in Germany on-time. As it turns out, there was no one sitting next to me and I could really lie out and sleep. As Shakespeare said, “All’s well that ends well.”

Ed. note: I was having trouble coming up with background items for the scene, and ended up going with the trite image of a terrorist slipping through security.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Way to go, Beach. Now the terrorists who read our blog know that all they have to do is distract TSA with toothpaste. Whose side are you on?

Jackson said...

Now thats! a blog entry! I hung on every word. And, the return of the Powerpoint cartoons- A+

Jackson said...

I remember my #1 cheese plate. Strangely, I was in Florida of all places, auditioning for the role of Sonny Crockett. I didn't get the part, but I discovered the coconut milk cheese plate- delicious with a bottle of Thunderbird.